New year’s resolutions for you & your cat from Apex Veterinary Centre
December 21, 2020
New year’s resolutions aren’t restricted to us humans. Why not commit to some changes in 2021 for your cat too, and help them start living their best life?
Your goals should be measurable so you know what you’re working towards and can assess your progress along the way. Chloe and the nursing team have put together some ideas on positive new year changes for you and your cat:
Eat healthier treats
- YOU: Swap two unhealthy treats for healthy ones e.g. swap the ‘elevenses’ biscuit break for an apple with peanut butter, and your daily bag of crisps for some healthy nuts or a yoghurt.
- CAT: Swap your cat’s treats to a healthier brand, and swap any unhealthy human food treats such as cream or cheese, to a few flakes of tuna.
- BOTH: Try making healthier treats for you – https://theclevermeal.com/20-wholesome-healthy-cake-recipes/ – and for your cat: https://www.battersea.org.uk/about-us/news/homemade-cat-treats
Drink more water
- YOU: Drink at least 2 litres of water per day.
- CAT: Encourage your cat to drink more by putting a little bit of water in their food if they’ll tolerate it, and leave more water bowls indoors and outdoors – some cats like to drink rainwater. Mixing a bit of wet food into their dry kibble will help to add moisture to their diet.
- YOU: Aim for 30 minutes of moderate exercise daily. If you want to lose weight, you’ll need to exercise more vigorously, more often, or for longer.
- CAT: Give your cat more opportunities to increase their activity levels, such as a range of toys to chase and hunt, and a home gym – check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kUBJd1xU50
- BOTH: Cats and owners who play together…lose weight together! What better way to shed some Christmas pounds, than playing with your cat? Chasing a toy on a string around the house can be quite energetic and fun for you both!
Make bonding a daily activity
- BOTH: Cat owners love cats, and cats love their owners, so make one of your new year’s resolutions to spend 20 minutes (minimum) each day with your cat just bonding. Whether that’s playing, stroking or grooming them, letting them ‘knead’ you, or just simply being with them, make it a daily activity in 2021.
As always, if you want any advice on how to care for your cat, get in touch.