Breeding services & support
How we can help when it comes to pet breeding
Breeding from your pet should be a highly considered process, whether you plan to keep or re-home your pet’s offspring. Our experienced team at Apex Vets have many years’ experience when it comes to pet births and have delivered more than a couple of babies via emergency cesarean!
Your pet’s new babies will need vet health checks and depending on the species, vaccinations, flea & worm treatments, microchipping, training and tailored nutrition for strong growth.
Before breeding from your pet you should consider:
- The health of your pet before, during and after pregnancy.
- Does your pet have the right temperament for breeding?
- Choosing the right mate.
- Screening for hereditary & degenerative conditions.
- Avoiding breeding from animals with debilitating / exaggerated breed features – ask our team about this.
- The number of offspring your pet could produce.
- The costs and care needed to help your pet give birth and raise offspring until they’re ready for rehoming.
- The costs and care needed if you intend to keep your pet’s offspring.
- Responsibly choosing the right homes for your new puppies, kittens or other young pets.
- Full advice service for novice breeders and support during birth via our 24 hour emergency service.
Confirming your pet’s pregnancy
Using our ultrasound imaging machine, we can confirm pregnancy in female dogs and cats (queens) from around 15 – 30 days gestation. Our maternity report includes a full set of digital images emailed to you (including video if possible), together with an “Estimated Date of Delivery” report from calculations done by our obstetrics machine. We will also make an estimate of how many puppies or kittens your pet is expecting if possible.
Book a consultation to talk about pet breeding