Dog and cat spays and castrates (neutering)
The benefits of neutering for pets in Denny
Kittens generally reach sexual maturity and can reproduce from around 4-6 months of age. Female cats can come into season every 2-3 weeks if not pregnant, so they could have up to 3 litters, or 18 kittens in a year!
There is no negative effect of neutering kittens before they reach sexual maturity, so from 4 months, after finishing their injections, is recommended. Kittens should not venture outdoors until they have been neutered.
Why neuter my cat?
- Stop unwanted pregnancies and help reduce the number of strays & unwanted cats in shelters.
- Reduce male cat sexual behaviours i.e. aggression, marking territory/spraying indoors, fighting.
- Stop female cats noisily ‘calling’ males when in season.
- Reduce females’ risk of mammary cancers and infections of the uterus.
- Neutered female cats can make more pleasant companions.
Neutering can make for happier and healthier dogs and a more relaxed life with them at home, and out & about.
Most male dogs can be neutered from 8 weeks of age, however, this can differ for certain large and small breeds. It’s the same for female dogs, and for most breeds, it is recommended to neuter them before their first season, which can typically occur at around 6 months of age. Talk to our team about the best time to neuter your dog.
Why neuter my dog?
- Stop unwanted pregnancies.
- Reduce number of unwanted dogs in shelters.
- Stop/reduce undesirable behaviours such as aggression, sexual behaviours and marking territory indoors.
- Male dogs are less likely to wander off in search of female dogs in season
- Reduce the risk of mammary cancers, pyometras, prostate disease, gland tumours and hernias.
- Prevent stressful seasons & phantom pregnancies
- Neutering can calm some dogs down if they are unusually hyperactive.
The benefits of neutering rabbits can include greatly reducing the risk of cancer and urinary tract infections, and house rabbits are easier to bond because of their calmer demeanour post-neutering. Talk to us about the best time to neuter your rabbit.
EXOTIC PET NEUTERING
Will my pet be spayed or castrated?
Neutering female pets is called spaying and involves removing their ovaries (and sometimes uterus) whilst under general anaesthetic. Male pets are castrated, which means their testicles are removed, also under G.A.